Thursday, September 27, 2007

"Tooth or Consequences"

Ah, our teeth. How fun. The title above is actually the title of an episode for a children's tv series I used to watch a loooong time ago, one that was based loosely from Alice in Wonderland. I can't remember the name of the show, but I do remember I liked it. One day when I was younger (I think it was somewhere between 10 and 13...not sure) I came home from having a couple of teeth extracted. My mouth was still numb and I still had the gauze pieces in my mouth. I turned the TV on, turned it to the channel this show was on, and that's the episode that came on. I'm totally not kidding!

Well, this morning I had my first dentist appointment in 7 years. I am NEVER waiting 7 years to see a dentist again! My gums are sore from the 5-10 minutes it took to scrap out all of the tartar that had built up the past 7 years. Fun. But, at least my gums will heal now (apparently they were infected with gingivitis cause of the tartar).

Thankfully: NO CAVITIES!! Although, the dentist does want to replace a filling from eons ago.

And...dun dun dun, I was given a referral to an oral surgeon to have my wisdom teeth removed! Yay! (sarcasm...). *pokes wallet* I'll do it as soon as I have more money :)

15 comments:

Roheryn said...

ooh... fun... not...
well, good luck with that

everlastingscribe said...

Ouch, yeah wisdom teeth can be fun or not fun depending on whether there's room for them in your mouth. As for the fillings, if they are older they may contain mercury and THAT is why the dentists want them out of our poor mouthes. Remember the Mad Hatter? ;) Hatters worked with products containing mercury and they were slightly touched in the head because of it. Same principle with mercury fillings. No mercury, no problems! And I should have the rest of the pictures uploaded in a few moments from the Launch Party. ;) I'll leave a link.

Pais Charos said...

Yeah. My wisdom teeth aren't bothering me yet...but the hygienist said that they will in the future, so it's best to get them out now while I'm young(ish). But it'll be a few months before I all the surgeon and set up an appointment. I need to have the money first, and I want to wait until I have my own apartment so I can veg in my own place after the surgery.

I don't know if this old filling has mercury in it or not, honestly. I had a couple of fillings done when I was a child, and this was the only filling put into a permanent tooth. I'm not looking forward to the novacain shots. *shudders*

Zonk said...

I had all four of my wisdom teeth out at once, along with another molar on the lower left. The wisdom tooth had so severely impacted that tooth that it was impossible to remove one without the other.

In fact, the Oral Surgeon (Yes it required OR time :D)had to chisel the two apart and pick the slivers out with tweezers. I had to suck 'blendered' food through a straw for two weeks, and small fragments kept working out of the gum for a month after.

Not what you wanted to hear I guess...:-/

I have some pliers around here somewhere I could lend you :D

Would you rather have the work done without the Novocaine???

Seriously, ask your dentist, maybe you might be a candidate for Nitrous Oxide, it really helps some people, along with the shots.

Pais Charos said...

Ooooh, no. The novacaine will just be for replacing the filling. When I go to get my wisdom teeth out, I want them to put me under. I want to be asleep. I don't want to be any form of awake or aware. No thank you.

My wisdom teeth aren't that bad yet...that's why they're suggesting I get them out now, cause they said if I don't, when I'm older they will cause me problems.

Kriegel said...

Hopefully you won't have to put up with any of those "loss of wisdom" cracks.

Pais Charos said...

I'm guessing that you did? Fun...

everlastingscribe said...

Hey, totally and completely off topic (of teeth anyway) have you arranged any DIOM parties for Bryan Davis fans? I know you mentioned something about doing that this year waaaay back in July and I completely forgot to ask how that was going *doh*

Pais Charos said...

Well...it actually going to be next spring, instead of this fall.

Kare Alethieas said...

There have already been three or four DIOM parties around the country, but Pais has been trying to plan another, closer to her.

Pais Charos said...

Aye. We were going to do one in October, but Mr. Davis said that he had gotten behind in his writing when Amanda/Legossi got hurt, so we're planning for Spring of 2008 instead, probably either sometime in April or the beginning of May.

Roheryn said...

and I want to come down!!!

Kriegel said...

If it was then...

it depends on a lot of stuff.

Roheryn said...

I'm really hoping that it doesn't interfere with anything that I HAVE to do for school and can take some time off...
hopefully by then my mom'll let me drive down...

Eve said...

7 years and no cavities?! Wow! What's your secret?