Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Another Horse Related Injury

Dear blog readers. I'm sorry I haven't posted in a while except for FIRST and TeenFIRST, but ... there's been nothing to post about! Till this weekend, that is.

Well, it looks like I have something else to add to my list of horse related injuries. Saturday around 1pm I was working at the barn, and when I was hanging Keeper's hay net I apparently was in the way, and he bit me instead of the hay, around the shoulder blade area. Man did that hurt!!

Anyway, at the time I wasn't sure how bad it was, and it felt pretty bad. I was getting woozy and lightheaded and could barely walk five feet let alone drive myself to the ER, so I had to call 911. No one was at the house, so it was just me there.

They said it's a very deep abrasion and the horse took a couple layers of skin off. Thankfully he didn't bite down into the muscle, so no stitches were needed. And it wasn't bleeding a lot. But it still hurt! When they started looking at it I was getting even woozier and more lightheaded, so they gave me oxygen, and I was on the oxygen for the whole ambulance ride, and for a bit at the hospital. So, they cleaned it, put some stuff on it, gave me a tetanus shot, etc.. And they gave me a prescription for some antiobiotics. My pastor's wife came and brought me one of her husband's t-shirts (cause the paramedics had to cut mine), then she took me back to the barn so I could get my truck.

Sunday I finally got up the nerve to look at the thing, so here's a picture. It doesn't look as nasty as that now. The top part isn't so red and has shrunk some, but the bottom part (where the chunk of skin is missing) is still oozing a bit and is turning pretty colors.


Now for the sad bit of news. Mrs. Weiss (the barn and horse owner) had been battling cancer for a while and took a turn for the worse about a month ago and was at a hospice unit for a few weeks. When I got back to my apartment I called Greg, a friend of hers and mine who helps with the horses, too. He informed me that Mrs. Weiss passed on a couple of days ago. They took her back up to Connecticut to be buried, so her daughter, Sharon, is up there and may not be back for a few weeks. Please pray for Sharon and for the rest of the family, and all her friends. And I guess please pray for me as well, for Mrs. Weiss was a dear friend.

3 comments:

everlastingscribe said...

Oooouuuuuch.

More for the other than for the bite.

:-D Glad to see you're still writing and that is an awesome picture. Does she do more than just equine based commissions?

;) I'd go and ask her myself but DA takes for feathering-ever to load over 40kbps dial up. :-P

Pais Charos said...

I think she does mainly horse-related stuff, but she may only take commissions through DA. What if you took your laptop to the library or a place that has a faster connection speed?

everlastingscribe said...

:-D Oh, I could do that n/p but I was curious before becoming a vagabond. I've a doctor's appt. this afternoon and hopefully that's going to help me understand why I feel so 'quished so much of the time. After the doctors, depending on how it goes, I might head over to the library to snitch some wifi. ;)