Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Review of Beyond the Reflection's Edge by Bryan Davis

I plan on doing this for the rest of Bryan Davis' books, as well as for the other authors for the Motiv8 Fantasy Fiction Tour (the one's whom I've read, that is).

I found a huge list of book review questions (I can't come up with questions for the life of me) on the website for Multnomah County Library, but am only using a few of them.

  • What did you enjoy about this book?
What did I enjoy? Everything...except for Mictar, of course. I enjoyed how action-packed it was, but there was still room for slow and sweet parts, like when Nathan describes his mother. I also enjoyed how gentle he is with Kelly - Nathan is such a gentleman.
  • What are some of the major themes of this book?
Well, it being the first book in the trilogy, it's difficult to pinpoint the major themes for the series. I would have to say, though, for this book, some of the major themes was love, honesty, and doing what is right, even when all odds seem to be against you.
  • Who was your favorite character? What did you appreciate about him/her?
Oddly enough, my favorite character isn't the main character. Nathan is great and all, but my favorite character is actually Kelly. I connect with her in a way that most people won't understand, and I sorta see a bit of myself in her, although some of our situations are different. I appreciated her willingness to move beyond her past and to change, and I admire that after all the adventures she endured with Nathan in this first book, she never backed down and stayed by his side.
  • Consider the main character: what does he or she believe in? What is he or she willing to fight for?
Although it isn't blatantly obvious in the first book, Nathan does believe in God, and I believe him to be a Christian. At first he's willing to fight for the truth about his parents. He needs to know what really happened, are they really alive, all those things. When he meets Kelly his next goal is to fight for her soul and her happiness, and to show her what true love is, but not in the romantic sense.

  • At the end of the book, do you feel hope for the characters?
Oh yes ... until I read the first chapter of the second one *ahem*.
  • What is stronger in the book: plot or character development? Why? Do you think this was intentional on the part of the author?
Oh goodness. Bryan Davis does well with both aspects of his stories, especially this one. But as in his other books, this book is character driven. Character development is definitely stronger than plot development, but not by much. Without his dynamic characters, though, the plot would be dead.
  • Did you find this book a quick read? Why or why not?
Too quick! And that's saying a lot, since I can be a pretty slow reader at times. But I zipped right through this book, and the end left me wanting so much more. I can't wait to read the second one when it comes out in October!
  • What are the most important relationships in the book?
The main relationship is Kelly and Nathan, because they get sorta thrusted together and dragged along a series of adventures, so their's is the prominent relationship in the book. Other important relationships are between Kelly and her father, and Nathan and his parents.
  • What makes a minor character memorable?
I think what makes a minor character memorable, is that they're not boring. In any story, minor characters are the "flat" ones, as in they don't change like the protagonists do. However, Bryan Davis has an uncanny ability to give his minor characters (even Mr. Bunn!) enough personality so that you never forget them.
  • Was the story credible? The characters credible?
Yes and Yes!


Stay tuned for more to come!!

No comments: