Thursday, June 25, 2009

The Journey

This poem is dedicated to Bryan Davis. Three years ago he showed me the truth, and although it's taken me so long to understand, I finally arrived. Thank you, Mr. Davis, for the love that you've shown me, even when it hurt. Thank you and your dear wife for your countless days of prayer for me. I am eternally grateful.


The Journey

The Liar:

Little human I know you well,
All your faults and all your stains,
And here I’ve come, to tell you that
Your God does not see your chains.

God’s Son will love you for all time
No matter what wrong you do.
I’ll make sure you will never see
The chains of sin that still bind you.

The Human:

My chains? I don’t see any chains.
Oh, of course, I do still sin,
But I just ask for forgiveness
And I’m righteous once again.

I will always fall now and then
It is my human lot in life
But Christ’s blood has covered my soul
Indeed, His mercy will suffice.

The Teacher:

Genuine Christians do not sin!
The saints will always obey!
I beg you, forsake the liar;
Turn and drop your wicked ways!

You surely don’t think God is blind?
That He doesn’t see your sin?
I assure you, He is no fool
The Lord God will always win.

The Human:

What do you mean? Are you crazy?
What about King David’s sin?
And Paul spoke of a war in him.
His flesh still reigned deep within.

That’s nonsense! Of course Christians sin!
And I myself am concrete proof!
You, sir, I fear are mistaken.
I pray you’ll see the truth.

The Teacher:

David’s sin was before Christ’s time,
Before the Spirit indwelled,
Paul spoke of his life in bondage
Before his chains were dispelled.

Truth is certainly what I teach,
Not the lies that you still heed
Christ has the strength to break your chains
True, and make you free indeed.

The Liar:

Don’t listen to this heretic!
This vile wolf pretender!
Christ has not the power he claims.
You will be mine forever.

The Human:

But wait… what if the Teacher’s right,
Can I be truly free?
It just seems too good to be true
Will God really rescue me?

The Liar:

You will never measure up to
The standard that God demands,
So accept your eternal fate
And remain in my black hands

The Teacher:

Take my outstretched hand, my dear friend,
And I will show you the way
To meet the Christ I freely love;
Be free of your chains today!

The Human:

But…I am tainted, noble sir.
Stained, and empty and ashamed.
I am sure God does not want me.
I am too bad to be saved.

I now know I’m still a sinner
Hopeless and far from God’s grace
Holiness just seems too lofty,
For I’ll always hide my face

The Teacher:

I weep for you, oh dearest friend
For the state of your red soul
There’s nothing more that I can do,
The step of faith must be yours.

The Liar:

This step of faith you’ll never take
As long as I am in charge
God can not wash away your sins
Your long list is just too large

Keep on living your sinful life
Falling each and ev’ry day
Your neighbors are content with this.
And they seem fairly okay.

It doesn’t matter what you say
Nor what good you try to do
You will never be good enough
For God to truly love you.

Forget this talk of salvation,
A foolish notion indeed.
God can not save a wretch like you.
I am all you’ll ever need.

The Redeemed:

Friend, listen to our evidence,
Of God’s great power and truth
Christ does have the power to save
And yes, you can be free, too.

All of us were once just like you
So blinded, deeply deceived
But God’s pure love broke through our veil
And now our eyes really see.

We now attest to, and can live
A life free from all blemish.
Forsake your pride, and come to God!
And your bleak bonds will perish.

There’s nothing you alone can do
To purge your own weak soul
Just claim the victory in Christ
And Jesus will make you whole!

The Liar:

Do not listen to those liars!
Do not heed their foolish words!
You can never be made holy!
To sin you'll always return!

The Human:

But they live holy spotless lives!
Surely, oh, it must be true!
Could it really be possible?
Lord, my God, what do I do?!

The Liar:

They say that they don't ever sin
But their hearts are full of pride
They don’t care about your spirit
I’ll always be at your side.

The Human:

Never, Satan! Flee from me now!
Cease your lies and your deceit.
Never again will I listen
No longer will I lie or cheat.

I’m taking my big step of faith
Christ’s love is all I will need.
He died for me on calvary;
I am now made free indeed.

The Liar has been defeated
Although he makes daily tries,
Whispering his lies and deceit
But now I'm guarded and wise.

I take the hand of the Teacher
My holy friend and my guide
Who showed me the beautiful way,
To Christ Jesus’ blessed side.

Together we will shine God’s truth
To a lost world full of lies
Along with our set apart friends;
God will change more broken lives.

1 comment:

Gwendolyn said...

Beautiful! You really did a good job of weaving in all our suggestions and improving the poem:)