Saturday, July 24, 2010

Day 6 - A moment I would like to relive

Oh my.  Hmm.  This is a tough one. 

...
....
.....
......

Oooh, got one!  Huzzah!

The moment I wish I could relive was the moment my dad said "Yes" to leasing Mac (in pic above) when I was 16.  This photo was taken when we went to the farm to sign the lease with the owner, who at the time was my riding instructor.

I had fallen in love with Mac the first time I rode him.  He was an Appaloosa and had been a rescue, and had just been started in lessons the day I started riding him.  I came to the barn for my lesson and Mrs. Sharon hadn't yet chosen who I would ride that day, so when I asked, she gestured toward Mac, who was on his way back into the barn, and told me to "ride that Appaloosa over there."  I don't know what it was about that horse, but we clicked instantly.  A few months later Mrs. Sharon began talking about selling him, and I was terrified of losing him.  I knew my dad would say no to buying him, so a friend and I started talking about possibly sharing him (as she loved him, too).  Mrs. Sharon proposed the idea of leasing and I went to my dad (in tears, mind you) begging him to agree.  When he agreed and we went to sign the lease were some of the best moments of my life. 

Sadly, my dear Mac, who was the love of my life, died a few short years later.  We had moved from Maryland to Northern VA in 2000.  I stopped leasing him that Fall.  I had stayed in Maryland for a few months to finish out my semester at the community college, then made my move to Northern VA in December of 2000.  The following Spring I made my first trip back to Maryland and went to visit the farm, only to learn that he had had to be euthanized.  THAT was one of the worst moments of my life, but I'll always remember how much he loved me.  I guess it's not so much the one moment (dad saying "yes") or the day we went to sign the lease that I wish I could relive.  I think it's more that I wish I could relive the whole time I had with Mac.  I would love to go back and do it over again, even knowing how it would end.  Garth Brooks' song "The Dance" always, without a doubt, reminds me of Mac.

And now that all my readers are probably crying (I was) I bid thee farewell.

PC :)

1 comment:

Roheryn said...

I know that feeling!
One of the best days of my life was when I first rode Carlo and when we made the decision to buy him :D