Saturday, September 4, 2010

"No Poo, No Soap" Method

Hello everyone!  First of all: Don't you LOVE my new blog design?!  Amanda did a fantabulous job!  What's funny is going into it she had NO idea that my favorite color is purple, but LOOK!  There's purple everywhere!  I loooooooooooove it!!! 

Right, so onto today's post.  I've been meaning to post about this for a long time but just haven't felt it was the right time until now.  I came across Shelby's blog at 26,000 Days and read her post about going all natural - specifically not using any shampoos or conditioners in her hair that contain chemicals.  Well, I thought it interesting and did a little research about it, and found that the chemicals that are used on regular shampoos today are more harmful than they are helpful in that they strip the hair of it's natural oils, so the scalp has to work in overdrive to replenish what was lost.  But by washing with natural products the hope is to help hair regain it's own natural healthiness.

So for about a week I was just mixing a tablespoon of baking soda in a cup with water, pouring that on my head and scrubbing, then using my normal conditioner.  And that went okay for a bit.  Then I saw Shelby's post here and thought, what they hey, I'll go for it.  I went to Kroger and bought two of these bottles you see on the right. One green and one blue (the blue one is currently in the fridge with green tea in it).

SO I started following Shelby's regimen to the T, forgetting her hair is LONG and my hair is SHORT.  For a while she was doing 3 tablespoons of baking soda in 3 cups of water, and 1 teaspon of lemon juice in 1 cup of water, then rinsing with cold water.  However, my bottles fit barely 2 cups of water, so yeah, you guessed it, I had 3 tablespoons of baking soda in just under 2 cups of water.  And, just like Shelby did, I would also rub an extra tablespoon of baking soda into my dry scalp before adding the baking soda rinse.

That's A LOT of baking soda for someone with short hair 0_0.  The lemon juice was very nice, though, conditions well and smells good, too.

But then, about two weeks later, I found out (thanks to Shelby again ^_^ ) that both baking soda and lemon juice are alkalines, and apparently too much alkaline in your hair is a bad thing.  And I admit to say, I did not realize that baking soda was an alkaline till then.  Here I was putting nearly 4 tablespoons of baking soda in my SHORT hair, then adding on the lemon juice. 

Yeah.  That's a lot of alkaline.

So I began to experiment.  I toned down the baking soda some to just 1 tablespoon with 1 cup of water, and held off on using the lemon juice rinse in the same wash.  Instead I started looking to see what else could be used as a conditioner, or just for hair in general.  A lot of websites say chamomile tea is a good conditioner and will help bring out the natural highlights in you hair.  I tried it and my hair smelled nice and chamomile-y, and it was a tad lighter, yes.  Another website recommended green tea to help encourage hair growth.  Tried that and my hair also smelled nice.  But I never really noticed any difference, other than the lovely tea smells.

I should warn you about something.  The whole rinsing your hair with cold water is a neat idea, but, uhm, don't do that when you have baking soda in your hair.  Hehehe.  While my hair looked clean and dry, it felt like it was greasy, gritty, thick, and just all around disgusting.  That night I just scrubbed my hair with warm water then put a lemon juice rinse in.  MUCH better, haha.

Around this time I had also stopped using regular soap for washing my body (still use hand soap to wash my hands, don't worry) and without any idea of what else to use, I would use the excess baking soda water that I didn't use in my hair.  The idea is to not put ON your body what you wouldn't put INto it.  Yes, I was cleaning myself, but something still felt like it was missing...

In one of Shelby's posts she also mentioned this company that makes natural soaps and shampoos, so I decided to check it out.  They're called Chagrin Valley.  I encourage you, guys and girls alike, to browse their products, and possibly order a few samples.  You won't regret it!  I finally placed my first order last week and it arrived today.  Not sure what I should try I had ordered a few sample bars and a small thing of whipped shea butter.  Let me tell you something, the smells are intoxicating.  On the left is a picture of what I had ordered. In case you can't read it, from left to right: Whipped Shea Butter (Lavender Geranium), Bay Rum shaving soap, Goat Milk Oatmeal Honey, Sweet Basil.

BTW, the lavender geranium scented body butter WILL make you sleepy, hehehehe.

My dad gave me some money for my birthday recently and I used that to place another order with them.  I ordered two of their oak soap dishes, a bigger bar of the Goat Milk Oatmeal Honey, and couple of shampoo bars, and a lip balm.  Can't wait to try them out!  I'll post about them when I have.

I'm really hoping these soaps work out well.  Not only are they natural, but after reading the testimonials about skin problems disappearing after using these soaps, I'm kinda hoping that mine will start going away, as well.  Only time will tell.

So anyway, thanks for reading my super long post!  Hope everyone is have a splendid day!

2 comments:

HolyPure said...

I know someone who makes soap. :) I want to get some natural shampoo now! Maybe I can find out how to make some...

HolyPure said...

Haha I just thought I'd let you know that I washed my hair with baking soda today. It actually worked better for me than normal shampoo. My hair is softer than usual. :)